Open Source Software is not free; it comes
at a very high cost.
- Wietse Venema
The painful task of thinking belongs to me.
- Baron George Brydges Rodney
Perfection in design is achieved not when there is
nothing left to add, but rather when there is nothing left to take
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently-talented fool.
Still, it is an error to argue in front of your data.
You find yourself insensibly twisting them round to
fit your theories.
- Holmes to Watson, "The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge", Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Live your whole life such that you
can look every damn man in the face and tell him to go to hell
- Plaque on the wall of my Maternal Grandmother's Kitchen
"Tom, his dog Tipper, and his new car" -- May 2006
- Born 1945 in Washington State
- BA Mathematics from Washington State University 1967
- MA Mathematics from University of Washington 1969
- Burroughs Corporation (now Unisys) 1969 - 1980
- Tandem Computers, Incorporated (now part of Hewlett-Packard) 1980 - 2015
- Retired 2015-12-01
- Married 1969 - no children.
Prior to retiring, I was an architect in the Open System Services development group within the NonStop Enterprise Division of HP.
I became interested in Internet Security when I established a home office in 1999 and had DSL service installed in our home. I investigated ipchains and developed the scripts which are now collectively known as Seattle Firewall. Expanding on what I learned from Seattle Firewall, I then designed and wrote Shorewall.
In addition to working on Shorewall, I enjoy digital photography, bicycling and walking.